Dr. Johnny Ray Ellison
Dr. Johnny Ray Ellison, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  25 years of Experience in Family Medicine, Occupational Medicine, and Osteopathic Manipulation
25169005

What is the best medication for neurotrophy My feet are very

Customer Question

What is the best medication for neurotrophy? My feet are very sensitive and have a tingling sensation.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Johnny Ray Ellison replied 7 years ago.

Have you had any tests performed for your foot pain?

Are you taking any medications for any other health or medical Problems?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My feet tingle and sting especially when I first get up in the morning. This weekend I was in Las Vegas and was on my feet a great deal and my feet felt like they were on fire!

Do you take any other Medicines?

Are you diabetic?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My feet burn and tingle, seems like the nerves in my feet are hype sensitive. Both my sisters suffer from this condition. What medications are available to help with this issue? My sister took one medication that promised weight gain. I will not take any medication that will make me gain weight. I am 53 years old, I work out about 5 times a week and am very active besides my work outs. I am presently not on any medications and wonder if there is a medication that can help me with the feet pain without any side effects?

First, I would advise some testing to prove that it is neuropathy, Your doctor can order a test called an EMG, which would confirm the diagnosis.

The two drugs used for perpheral neuropathy is Gabapentin, the second is Lyrica. Both are related meds and can help considerably on improving the symptoms, but both can occassionaly cause weight gain, swelling, and dizziness.

I hope this helps you, and best wishes!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't want to take a drug hat causes weight gain. Any other ideas?
Topical medications, such as Capsicin Cream, can help without the side effects of oral meds. Alternative therapies, such as acupuncture, may help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Do I need a perscription for the Capsicin cream?

You can buy it under the brand name Zostrix, or Zostrix HP.

But note: it may take time (a week or so) to kick in. It may cause a little burning when you start to use it, as it is a cayanne pepper extract. Be sure to read and follow the directions on the label. It is also used for joint and muscle pain as well.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks.

Pam Underwood

your welcome!