Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS

My urine is rust colored. It probably changes within the last

Customer Question

My urine is rust colored. It probably changes within the last week. I had some pain in my lower abdomen when I had to go to the bathroom, it got better marginally better after relieving myself. There is still discomfort, but not as bad. I'm on warfarin, level checked 2 weeks ago, it was low, I think about 1.4. My doc increased my dose and I was to get it checked in the last few days. I haven't. Blood has ben taking much longer to clot than usual. I smoke. So, what possibilities am I looking at with the change in color of my urine?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I would like to ask few details from you. There is painful urination? any investigations done so far?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No pain other than abdominal discomfort, no investigations, no discoloation of stool
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your details and really appreciate that. I would say rusty color urine can be due to blood in urine, infections of the urinary tract, kidney stones, bleeding disorders might be due to warfarin. I will recommend you to rule out these disorders and have some tests as well like abdominal-pelvic scan, complete blood count, recent and fresh INR, bleeding profile. I will suggest you to see Urologist at the earliest. I can give the possibilities and show the right direction here.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed

Edited by Dr. Amir on 10/27/2009 at 2:49 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Answers are pretty basic but I appreciate you confirming my thoughts. The additional test recommendations will be helpful depending on what my docwants to do. The only problem I have is that I am traveling and will have to find someone to see me in this area. Wish me luck, and thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 6 years ago.
You welcome dear and best of luck. Keep in touch and make sure to have tests done. I can give the possibilities here in easy words and show the right direction because exact diagnosis is not possible without examination. Always here to help you.

Kind regards
Dr. Amir Javed