Ask Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurolog...
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology, Doctor
Experience:  Neurologist :: Clinical Neurophysiologist :: University of California.
19824690

Is there a proven natural remedy for Pseudotumor Cerebri a.k.a,

Is there a proven natural remedy for Pseudotumor Cerebri?
a.k.a, something that naturally decreases the production of CSF?
I've been on Diamox for 7 months, and every time I try to taper/stop taking it, my symptoms come back.. I was told it wasn't such a good idea to take the Diamox such long term, so I really want to stop taking it.
Thank you!
~Sylvie
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology replied 7 years ago.
How much do you weigh and how tall are you?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i'm 5'2 and weigh 142lbs.. used to weigh around 165-167 when i was diagnosed in april
Your BMI is not too bad (26), it is still in the overweight range but you have made a lot of progress since April. You need to get your BMI slowly in the normal range, around 21-24.

There are no natural remedies other than weight loss to decrease CSF production, otherwise it would be really easy to treat IIH patients. The CSF pressure is a delicate balance between production and absorption.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hypothetically, if i were to lose all the weight and still have the symptoms, would i need to have surgery?
Losing more weight represents your best chance of not needing medications or surgery.