Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS; MD

I recently stopped taking effexor. now my head feels like

I recently stopped taking effexor. now my head feels like it is exploding with spirts of throbbing pain. it has been going on for three days and seems to get worse. I am aching, have bad dreams and sick to my stomach. I recently had a regular flu shop. Help!! I am real dizzy and can hardly move

Dear Hebstogo,

What were you taking the effexor for and what was the reason for stopping it? What other medical problems do you have? What other medications do you take?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have severe depression. My perscription went from $18 for 90 days to over $500 so I stopped taking it. Will this feeling go away. I am also sick to my stomach

Dear Hebrstogo,

Unfortunately I have to go for a medical emergency so I will opt out and if you are not able to be helped by another expert I will return at the soonest possible time.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am doing really bad so any help will do. Because of the severe swine flu outbreak in Boise, going to the hospital isn't a great solution unless this is only going to get worse and more severe

Antidepressant discontinuation symptoms have onset within 5 days of stopping treatment. These symptoms can vary in form and and intensity and can occur in any combination. With Effexor (Venlafaxine) symptoms commonly reported are

Flu like symptoms such as 'shock like' sensation, dizziness, insomnia, headaches, irritability, excessive dreaming, difficulty concentrating to name a few.

Treatment strategy depends on the severity of symptoms.

If the symptoms are mild and can be tolerated, patient is reassured that they will pass in few days.

If the symptoms are severe, Effexor is reintroduced and is tapered gradually while monitoring the symptoms.

I would recommend you to consult your treating doctor once again and discuss with him about the facts I have told you if you are not able to tolerate the symptoms.

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Dr. Vikas, Doctor
Experience: MBBS; MD