Dr.tiwari
Dr.tiwari, Doctor
Experience:  M.D.
8775652

Laryngospasms are waking me nightly, and I want to know tips/tricks

Customer Question

Laryngospasms are waking me nightly, and I want to know tips/tricks to stop them so I won't die? (Can I die?)
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 7 years ago.
Are you also snoring at night ?Is this has been confirmed by your collegye or your partner?
Please reply.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Dr. Tiwari,
Thank you for your response. I am not snoring at night, I've never been a snore-er as confirmed by my partner.

I did see a doctor who referred me to an ENT specialist who confirmed what I was experiencing was laryngospasms and stridor.

While I have asthma, this is not asthma related, just my vocal chords are spasming and closing shut. I have read it can be caused by acid reflux which I don't know if I have?

What I am most curious about is how I can make them stop when they occur. How do I stop them? And... what is the likelihood of dying? I have to wait 10 days to see the ENT specialist, and I would love to know more before then.
Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer
Although the common cause of the laryngospasm is stress ,anxiety ,asthma & allergies for which you have cleared that it is not there.The GERD may also be one of the cause for this which by refluxing the acid in the esophagus or food pipe then does cause irritation of the surrounding structure & food pipe to go in the spasm & may lead to such reactions.You should do following to have relief-

1.Keep the head end of your bed elevated by about 15-20cm from ground with the help of wooden blocks.

2.Avoid eating hot ,spicy & oily things.

3.Try to lie by your side.

4.If you are overweight then decrease your weight.

5.Do exercises of laryngeal muscles & muscles of neck.You should try wind musical instruments like flute,sexophone,etc.as some research have associated them with good results .

6.Avoid heavy intake of alcohol & spicy things in night .Do not lie just after having dinner.

7.Do yoga & meditations.

Hope this will be helpful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you asre satisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Dr. Tiwari,
I appreciate the lovely suggestions, but what I'm writing about isn't to find out the cause of the laryngospasms and how to treat the cause... but to find out what I can do in the moment to make them stop.

So, when I wake up at 3am, and my throat is spasming. What can I do to make it relax besides not panic? What I know thus far, is to breathe through my nose, try to relax and I have heard thrust my jaw forward?

The question is: In the moment, how do I make them stop? and what are the chances of laryngospasms being fatal?

(and of course i love yoga and meditation)

. My question is really what I can do when I am having a laryngospasm, in the moment to make it go away. So, when my throat closes up
Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 7 years ago.
Read this informative article in this reference with good technique which you can learn-

http://umdas.med.miami.edu/documents/mm_articles/93.pdf

Hope this will be helpful.

---------------------------------------------------------
If you are satisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This is the article I found before actually where I gathered a jaw thrust might be helpful. The problem I have with the article, is I don't understand it because I don't know anatomy.

I also still am not sure if they are fatal, and perhaps for legal reasons you are not able to answer that question.

The Article says the following is the technique, and I don't understand it!!!!!

The technique involves placing the middle finger of each hand in what I term the laryngospasm
notch. This notch is behind the lobule of the pinna of each ear. It is bounded anteriorly by the ascending
ramus of the mandible adjacent to the condyle, posteriorly by the mastoid process of the temporal bone,
and cephalad by the base of the skull (Figure 1). The therapist presses very firmly inward toward the base
of the skull with both fingers, while at the same time lifting the mandible at a right angle to the plane of
the body (i.e., forward displacement of the mandible or "jaw thrust"). Properly performed, it will convert
laryngospasm within one or two breaths to laryngeal stridor and in another few breaths to unobstructed

I don't know what this means!!!
Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 7 years ago.
Let me explain this to you-

Just look at the following link for anatomy of the mandible & skull-

http://www.atenmedicalart.com/illus/images/sklsmall.gif

You should just put your middle finger deeply in the depression below the ear lobule on both side & put your other finger at the angle of the jaw bone.You should press that part superiorly & anteriorly during that episode it will help in elevating the tongue & also relieving laryngeal spasm in smooth respiration.

Hope this will be helpful.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------