Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience

why is my tongue so sensitive that I cannoteat spicy foods

Customer Question

why is my tongue so sensitive that I cannoteat spicy foods at all and other foods. I have tried
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 7 years ago.
Hello.There is a entity Geographic Tongue or Benign Migratory glossitis that occurs in upto 3% of the population.Areas of erythema or reddening of parts of tongue may occur,with atrophy of filliform papillae ,and may have a white border to the reddened area.A fissured tongue may also be seen and sensitivity to spicy and hot food is seen.There may be association with Psoriasis.There are no known cures,use of Zinc and B- Complex may help.The use of oral and topical antihistamines has been tried.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry I cannot accpt your answer as it did not give me enough information to help my problem
Many treatments are suggested.Steroid ointments seem to help some patients.If there is a element of fungal infection,use of Lotrimin/Tinactin lotion locally will help.You may add Folic Acid as a supplement,Amitryptelene/Antidepressants like SSRIs in low doses may help.Some patients have also tried Vitamin B12 supplements.I gave you a honest answer,as there is no certain cure for this problem.Lots of drugs have been tried with varying success.Gabapentin and Pregabalin have also been used in efforts to treat this.Rule out blood dyscrasias,Nutritional deficiencies,Trigeminal Neuralgia and you may need a biopsy of the tongue tissue in attempt to get at a diagnosis.