Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My right index finger hurts, the skin on top feels numb. and

My right index finger hurts, the skin on top feels numb. and when I extend it and extend, like in a golf swing i get a real intense pain. but the is general discomfort all the time. is the carpal tunnel, or something else
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 years ago.

When you say that the numbness is on the top, do you mean the entire extensor surface of the finger?

Is the numbness a sensation of tingling, lide when your arm falls asleep, or loss of sensation, so that if something touches the skin, it is not felt?

Is the pain in the finger along the extensor surface also, or on the flexion side, or both?

Does the pain extend anywhere else on the hand?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the feeling is on top, from the middle knuckle back to the hand. and when its extend the pain is in the knuckle at the hand. The numbness is more a loss of sensation, and the pain doesn't real extend through the hand. just at throught the finger and knuckle
It would not be carpal tunnel syndrome. Carpal tunnel symptoms will cause pain and numbness along the flexion surface of the forefinger and usually affects the flexion surface of the thumb and middle finger as well. Carpal tunnel is due to inflammation in the wrist causing pressure within the carpal tunnel, which affects the nerve passing through the carpal tunnel. A likely cause of your symptoms can also be inflammatory in nature, but it would not be carpal tunnel. There also are other conditions that can cause your symptoms. Ultimately, it would require medical evaluation to determine the diagnosis. If you have not yet tried an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, it would be appropriate to do so, since it will treat a variety of inflammatory conditions. It is important to take enough of the anti-inflammatory medicine; lower doses will help pain, such as headache, but it takes a minimum daily amount to treat inflammation. For ibuprofen it requires 1600-2400 mg/day and for naproxen it requires 1000-1500 mg/day. The total daily amount should be divided into 2-3 doses. If the anti-inflammatory medicine relieves the symptoms, then no further evaluation is necessary. If fit does not, then it would require medical evaluation to determine the exact cause.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.