Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Why do I get a taste of blood in my mouth? No sign of it in saliva

What can cause the taste of blood in my mouth? There is no sign of blood in my saliva. Its like I have a slight sore in my throat which the sore spot moves from the lower throat to the back of the throat.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.

Have you had any drainage from the nose?
Do you notice it at any particular time of the day?
Any heartburn?
Dental problems?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I notice it more in the afternoon. I wear a mouth splint to bed to stop me from grinding my teeth. The discomfort comes and goes and changes positions in my throat.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information.
The blood/metallic taste in the mouth could be from many things. Some of which I have listed above:
Acid reflux:
Irritation of the gums from your mouth guard--make sure you do a close inspection of your mouth for any signs of open sores/cuts/etc
Ulcers in the throat or oesophagus:
Bleeding from the nose or sinuses (even a minute amount draining down the back of your throat can cause this taste)--if you have sores in the nose it can do it too.
I would recommend if you continue to have this, especially since it is associated with a sore throat, that you see an ENT for an exam. The ENT will do a scope that evaluates the nasal passages as well as the oral cavity and area above the vocal cords for any growths/sores, etc.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have.
Thank you!!