Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS; MD

he always liked.And he doesnt accept tht he has mental health issues

patient has unrealistic talk and short tembered. He is at hospital andcan comeout with escort leave condition. But hedoesnot wantsto stay with other patients as they have other mental health issues.He wants to stay where he always liked.And he doesn't accept tht he has mental health issues. for this stage how long he need to cure from this illness.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Hi Jalak,

Could you please tell what is the diagnosis in his case?

What is the total duration of illness?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

he doesn' take drugs. but he was taking high voloume of alchocol for last 3-4 months.

possible duration can be about 2-3 months.

he had big problem with his partner and upset for 4 months by last december.

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the information. So to summarize, he is suffering form Mania and alcohol dependence?

By unrealistic talks I assume that being in manic phase he must be talking big and considering himself above everyone and similar sort of symptoms.

He is responding as in your words "He seems very settled than he first went hospital 10 days ago." But you have mentioned that he does not consider himself ill which indicate towards the lack of insight towards his illness. His medicine has been increased which further indicate the seriousness of his illness.

On the basis of little information you have provided, in my view he should be under the supervision of hospital staff till he is able to recognize that he is ill and needs help, he don't become aggressive and can control his temper, and talk sensibly.

It may take some time ranging from a week to a month although a lot depends on the severity of illness, type of medicines used and various other factors. Please note that Bipolar illness (Mania) can relapse or reccur and he should continue his treatment as advised by his doctor even when he return home or to the place of his liking.

I hope it helps,

Please feel free to ask if you need clarification/more information. Kindly click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON if you are satisfied with the answer. POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS are warmly appreciated.