BMW MD
BMW MD, Doctor
Experience:  AP/CP BE Pathologist, Harvard trained BE Molecular Genetic Pathologist
21094728

what are parenchymal abnormalities consisting of hyperechoic

what are parenchymal abnormalities consisting of hyperechoic strands when found by ultra sound in the pancreatic body?
Category: Medical
Expert:  BMW MD replied 7 years ago.
Hello. Normally, the pancreatic parenchyma is homogeneous and slightly hyperechoic. The main pancreatic duct is seen as a thin, anechoic, smooth linear structure coursing centrally through the parenchyma. There is also usually a clearly detectable difference in the echo-density of the ventral and dorsal pancreas, the ventral part being more hypoechoic. That being said, hyperechoic strands in the pancreatic body seen by ultrasound may represent chronic pancreatitis. I hope this helps. I put a good amount of care in to my answer. Please be respectful of my time and effort, and if satisfied, please click ACCEPT so I may be paid for my work. A bonus is always appreciated. Use of this service does not constitute any doctor-patient relationship, nor does it allow for confidentiality. I assume no medico-legal responsibility. If anything is unclear, please ask for clarification.

Take good care, and best wishes.
BMW, MD