Dr. Dennis
Dr. Dennis, Doctor
Experience:  US GRAD, Board Cert: Internal Medicine, Fellow American College Physicians.

What is causing pain and heavy feeling under left rib cage

What is causing pain and heavy feeling under left rib cage side?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. This is related to my field of specialty. I would say there are following important possibilities which should be rule out like heart diseases, esophagitis (inflammation of food pipe), silent fractures of rib, costochondritis. I will recommend these tests for you like EKGs, chest x-ray (AP view), complete blood count, ESR initially. It is very important to rule out heart diseases first of all because of the location of pain. I will suggest to have detail evaluation by Internist. I can give the possibilities and show the right direction here. Avoid any spicy or junk food. Avoid alcohol and smoking.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Regards
Dr. Amir Javed

Edited by Dr. Amir on 10/20/2009 at 9:19 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not accept
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 4 years ago.
OK I am going to OPT out so another expert might help you in this. No body can make exact diagnosis without any examination. Best of luck.

Dr. Amir Javed

Edited by Dr. Amir on 10/20/2009 at 9:27 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not happy with that explanation. the least you could have done is discuss some possibilities since I gave you the location of same pain. Could it be gall stones, appendix or etc.?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is another doctor going to help me as you say you have opted out?Customer
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have OPTED out so another expert might help you for this. I already informed the experts if they might able to help in this and there answer is different from mine they will come here for sure.

Best of luck
Dr. Amir Javed
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You say another expert might help me. Does that mean they will answer or will I be left waiting here without a reply?Customer
Expert:  howard lewis replied 4 years ago.
ok pain left chest. what makes it better or worse? Is it related to exertion?
Is your diabetes controlled?
Do you smoke cigarettes?
Do you have a cough or shortness of breath or asthma?
Gallstones usually cause pain and nausea. THe pain is usually right upper quadrant of abdomen and not left side.
Costocondritis is arthritis of the sternum. It is usually a diagnosis of exclusion Treat with motrin.
Reflux of esophagus can cause pain. Treat with prilosec
for info
Please click the green accept if Ihave answered your question Dre. Lewis

Do you have hypertension? what is your bp?
Expert:  Dr. Dennis replied 4 years ago.
First of all, cardiac issues could be a problem, simply based on the left side under the ribs. It could be potentially a situation where your heart is not getting enough oxygen due to a blockage and that could give you pain. if the blockage becomes complete, and the entire flow is blocked that is when a heart attack occurs.

2. It is not appendicitis. That is located in the right lower quad of your abdomen.

3. gall bladder issues are usually on the right side under your last rib. The pain there can radiate around your right side to your back in a blet like fashion. it can cause pain under your right scapula. based on your symptoms and location I dont not feel its gall bladder.

4. There could be an inflammation of the ribs, which we do call costochondritis. It could be caused by having done something strenuous, like lifting etc. It could be also caused by a bruise to the ribs and you could have the same sensation.

5. Low on the list but needing to be mentioned is a clot in the lung. there would be pain, shortness of breath, perhaps some coughing up blood and rapid breathing, as a rule. That needs a special xray.

6. If its lower at the bottom of the left rib cage, it could be a stomach problem or a problem with a swollen spleen. A doctor could do a physical to determine if its the spleen

7.If its radiating or is located in the center of your abdomen it could be your pancreas. You would be fairly sick, with perhaps fever, nausea vomiting.

Thats a start.

dr dennis

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr Lewis
The pain gradually subsides and no it is not related to exertion.
My diabetes is gradually becoming controlled
I have never smoked.
No I do not have a cough, shortness of breath, or asthma.
I do not have hypertension.
Blood Pressure is always normal.
Hope this helps you to give me a better diagnosis?Customer
The diagnoses were given to you above.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All of that does not sound like the answer.
The pain and/ or heaviness usually happens after eating dinner in the evening and then is better inthe morning except this morning it was still there.
Does this help?Customer
This sounds like a stomach emptying situation. one other possibility which could be more serious is a blockage or stricture to one of the blood vessels that is feeding the stomach or the intestine. That would give you pain and discomfort. Although the pain would theoretically be worse than you are having --if any.\

If you have not had emptying studies and or an upper gi you should. Also an endoscopy would be considered to make sure there is no malignant process or lymphoma in your stomach.

You should know that diabetics are known to have emptying issues.

dr dennis
Dr. Dennis, Doctor
Experience: US GRAD, Board Cert: Internal Medicine, Fellow American College Physicians.
Thank you most kindly. in wish you the best.
Write anytime.
Dr d.