Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS
16101430

my legs and ankles swell below the knee during the day but

my legs and ankles swell below the knee during the day but go down overnight. If I'm on my feet from 8am til midnight the swelling can be painful. should I wear special support hose or best to us let it go?
Thanks for your question. I would like to have few details from you. any tests done for that because these are serious symptoms? history of shortness of breath or chest pain? any difficulty in urination? any abdominal pains? history of diabetes or hypertension?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no tests done. I've had type 1 diabetes for 20 years on an insulin pump. No history of hypertension. I'm an organic food eater. no difficulty in urination. no abdominal pain I have mild allergic asthma in the Fall. occassional reflux that goes away when I drink 1/2 lemon in a glass of water. My pcp just said to put my feet up more
Thanks for your details. This is related to my field of specialty. I would say whenever there is such ankle and legs swelling the following important possibilities which can give such symptoms like heart disorders, liver disorders, renal disorders, vessel obstructions, nutritional deficiencies should be rule out at the earliest. I will recommend these tests for you like EKGs, chest x-ray (PA view), serum urea, liver function tests, complete blood count. I will recommend you to be seen by Internist for complete evaluation and tests which I mentioned above. It is important to make a diagnosis and then treatment accordingly. I will later on also suggest physiotherapy for your legs. Avoid any alcohol and smoking as well. I can give the possibilities and show the right direction here.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Regards
Dr. Amir Javed
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

all of the above tests have been run including a cardiolite stress test = normal. except for nutritional tests and physiotherapy. What nutritional tests/physiotherapy do you recommend because I can have them done. thank you

You mentioned me above that no test done in your case. Any ways I will recommend serum electrolytes, serum albumin, serum ferritin, amino acid analysis test. I will also suggest doppler ultrasound of your legs to see the status of vessels in legs. You should consult physiotherapist for leg exercises in order to reduce and limit your symptoms of swelling. I am glad that your heart, liver and renal tests are fine.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Regards
Dr. Amir Javed
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
serum ferritin and amino acid analylis nor doppler ultrasound haven't been done yet. thank you very much.
You welcome and best of luck. Keep in touch

Regards
Dr. Amir Javed