Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS

My 15 year old son s body odor smells like cat urine. What

My 15 year old son 's body odor smells like cat urine. What could be the cause?
Thanks for your question. I would like to have few details from you. There is any cat at home? history of any medical problems with your son? what kind of food he like to eat more? he is taking lots of fluid?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your help!

Yes, we have a cat at home but I don't think that's it. The more he sweats the worse the smell gets, even away from home. Others have noticed, as well.

Regarding his diet, although I encourage him to eat well and drink lots of water, he has other ideas of what to eat drink. He eats more fast food than he should and doesn't drink enough water.

My son has suffered from depression in the past but no other illnesses.
You welcome and always here to help you. This is related to my field of specialty. I would say such kind of smelly odors are due to bad eating habbits mostly at this age like eating lot of junk food, taking lot of carbonated fizzy drinks. The other possibilities such as renal disorders, liver problems, infections, hormonal problems are less likely at this age which can also give such smelly odors. But I will recommend detail evaluation for him in order to be on the safer side by pediatrician and will like to have tests like serum electrolytes, serum urea, liver function tests, complete blood count. I am very sure that his bad body odors are due to bad eating habbits and he should change it and drink plenty of clear water. He should aware of the fact that our body odors mostly depends on the type of food we eat. He must also improve his hygiene as well.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed