BMW MD, Doctor
Experience:  AP/CP BE Pathologist, Harvard trained BE Molecular Genetic Pathologist

I have high white blood cell count, blood in urine, high platelet

Customer Question

I have high white blood cell count, blood in urine, high platelet level in the millions, and having lower back pains that are sometimes hard to deal with.
Category: Medical
Expert:  BMW MD replied 7 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for your question. Thrombocytosis is a medical term used to describe a high number of platelets in your blood. Platelets (thrombocytes) are small fragments of cells that stick together to stop bleeding after a cut or injury. Many factors can influence a person's platelet count, including exercise and racial origin. A high platelet count can happen for many reasons, but there are two basic processes involved: overproduction, and diminished removal. In most cases thrombocytosis is caused by increasing platelet production. Reduced platelet removal only occurs following surgical removal of the spleen (splenectomy). In adults either a high or low platelet count may accompany other symptoms of autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis. I would suggest that you see a hematologist, and many are experts in oncology as well. In addition, a high platelet count can occur in a number of different bone marrow diseases but most especially in the myeloproliferative diseases, chronic myeloid leukaemia, and the myelodysplastic syndromes. An oncologist should be able to help you find the cause of your symptoms. You may likely have a condition known as essential thrombocytemia, or ET. ET is a rare disorder, so the medical literature is limited; however, a qualified oncologist should be able to make the appropriate diagnosis. You should definitely have a hematopathologist review a microscopic slide of your bone marrow. If you are not satisfied, you should keep seeking medical attention. I hope this helps. I put a good amount of care in to my answer. Please be respectful of my time and effort, and if satisfied, please click ACCEPT so I may be paid for my work. A bonus is always appreciated. Use of this service does not constitute any doctor-patient relationship, nor does it allow for confidentiality. I assume no medico-legal responsibility. If anything is unclear, please ask for clarification.

Take good care, and best wishes.