BMW MD
BMW MD, Doctor
Experience:  AP/CP BE Pathologist, Harvard trained BE Molecular Genetic Pathologist
21094728

My white blood cells are an unusual shape - what does this

My white blood cells are an unusual shape - what does this mean please?
Category: Medical
Expert:  BMW MD replied 4 years ago.
Hello. Do you have a report as to what the white blood cells looked like? The could indicate a nutritional deficiency including factors that could make the cells too small or too big. The could also be hyperlobated or hypolobated, or have different color or amount of granules. More information would be quite helpful. I look forward to your reply.

Take good care, and best wishes.
BMW, MD
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The possibility exists that I was accidentally given poison - would this be the reason for odd shaped blood cells?
Expert:  BMW MD replied 4 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for your reply. Blood poisoning is a nonspecific term used mainly by nonmedical individuals that describes, in the broadest sense, any adverse medical condition(s) due to the presence of any toxic agent in the blood. Usually, the layperson using the term blood poisoning is referring to the medical condition(s) that arise when bacteria or their products (or both) reach the blood. Blood poisoning is not a medical term and does not appear in many medical dictionaries or scientific publications. However, when it is used, the correct medical term that most closely matches its intended meaning is sepsis. Many medical authors consider the terms blood poisoning and sepsis to be interchangeable, but the trend is to use the term sepsis. Given the possibility of (accidental) poisoning, one would see toxic changes within the white blood cells (wbc), such as a structure known as 'dohle bodies' within the cell. If these are present, they may represent a reversible process that should resolve on its own. Poison can also result in misshapen wbcs as well. The most important thing to do is to resolove the cause of the poisoning and not allow it to happen again as well as treat any medical issues that may be affecting you while the wbcs recover. I hope this helps. I put a good amount of care in to my answer. Please be respectful of my time and effort, and if satisfied, please click ACCEPT so I may be paid for my work. A bonus is always appreciated. Use of this service does not constitute any doctor-patient relationship, nor does it allow for confidentiality. I assume no medico-legal responsibility. If anything is unclear, please ask for clarification.

Take good care, and best wishes.
BMW, MD
BMW MD, Doctor
Experience: AP/CP BE Pathologist, Harvard trained BE Molecular Genetic Pathologist