KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified Neurologist with Subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology. Private Practice.
22767285

My husband is dizzy, has back pain in the upper back, he is

Customer Question

My husband is dizzy, has back pain in the upper back, he is short of breath, bloated stomach, and all his muscles are aching.
He has no insurance and his regular physician gave him Meclizine 12.5mg I quess for the dizziness. Can you help us figure out his problem?
Category: Medical
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 4 years ago.

Tell me, which of these symptoms is most problematic? Tell me more about that symptom. It is not very likely that all these symptoms are related, so lets focus on the one that bothers him most.

I'm a board certified neurologist, and would be happy to help.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The worst is the dizziness and the pain in the neck and in his shoulders
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 4 years ago.
Ok, that's a start. Thanks.

Now tell me about the dizziness... Does it feel like room spinning, like he's going to pass out, or something else? Is it there all the time? Does it come and go? By the way is he on any medications or does he have any medical conditions I should know about? When did it start?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The dizziness comes and goes, it comes in waves, it never goes away completely. He says that it is worse when he moves his eyes. He says no matter what position he is in, standing, sitting, laying down, it doesn't really let up for more than a couple minutes at a time.
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 4 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thanks again for the reply.

There are a variety of possible causes for dizziness. If the symptom is pretty consistent and not going away completely, then one of the more concerning possibilities could be a stroke (especially if the symptom started suddenly). A stroke normally might also produce numbness or weakness on one side of the body or slurred speech, but not always. The fact that the dizziness is pretty constant makes me concerned enough that he should see a doctor about this if the symptoms are persisting (an MRI of the brain could help diagnose this).

Another possible cause which is usually less dangerous is a condition called labyrinthitis, which sometimes is caused by a virus, and also could possibly produce muscle aching. This is much more difficult to diagnose.

If the dizziness feels like he is about to pass out (doesn't sound like it), then one would need to make sure that his blood pressure isn't getting too low. I think this is less likely than either of the first 2 possibilities.

Therefore, I would recommend that he see his doctor again in the near future if the symptoms are persisting, to make sure this isn't a stroke he's dealing with.

Good luck. Please let me know if there are any other questions. If you have found this helpful, please click on ACCEPT so that I may be reimbursed for the time taken to answer this question.

KarayanMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board Certified Neurologist with Subspecialty in Clinical Neurophysiology. Private Practice.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could a disc in his neck or nerve pinched in his neck cause dizziness also?
Expert:  KarayanMD replied 4 years ago.

That is a very good question!

Some doctors believe in a condition termed "cervical vertigo". Some do not.

I am on the side that feels this is not very likely. There usually is another cause that can be identified. However, one possible cause for dizziness coming from the neck is if there is a narrowing of the arteries in the back of the neck, called the vertebral arteries. These sometimes can be affected such that if a person puts his head backward or in a certain position, they may constrict the artery more and cause dizziness because of lack of blood flow to the brainstem. This can be evaluated for with a test called MR Angiogram or CT angiogram, which I obtain occasionally in patients with dizziness.

But to answer your question again, I would say generally I think this is unlikely.

I hope this has been helpful to you. Bonuses (and feedback) are appreciated.