Dr. DAN
Dr. DAN, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine physician, dedicated to high-quality care, uptodate treatment modalities
20184062

I can CONSTANTLY hear my heart beat/blood flow in my left ear.

Customer Question

I can CONSTANTLY hear my heart beat/blood flow in my left ear. I have had my hearing checked and it's good. Blood pressure is normal. Also when I talk, I can hear myself (like when you plug your ears and talk#. This has been going on for almost 3 years, and my doctor has been no help. It does get worse when my blood pressure rises #exercise, anxiety, etc.# XXXXX during menstration #for some reason#. If I push down just behind my jaw bone, under my ear #jugular area) it stops, but I can't walk around all day like that.

Do you have any information, help, suggestions? Thanks, Kelly
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. DAN replied 7 years ago.
you have a chronic condition for which there's no clear treatment defined at the moment. The only thing you could try would be some audio devices that you place in your ear and it will create an additional noise to overcome the other one. Some of these devices are suitable to sleep with as well since the noise they make it's just a soothing, constant one. Ask an ENT specialist about it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Does this mean I will have to live with this condition for the rest of my life?
Expert:  Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology replied 7 years ago.
It sounds like you are experiencing pulsatile tinnitus.

Pulsatile tinnitus can be caused by several conditions which mainly involve vascular problems in the brain and/or near the inner and middle ear. Such problems include atherosclerotic blood vessel occlusion, arteriovenous malformation (AVM), vascular tumor, hum of the venous flow, ectopic (abnormal) blood vessel, or what is called the "persistent stapedial artery".

You need a brain MRI and an MRA of your head and neck as well as examination by an ENT specialist ASAP.
The worst case scenario would be a significant atherosclerotic blood vessel narrowing (even at your young age) or an AVM.

Expert:  Dr. DAN replied 7 years ago.
If you haven't seen an ENT doctor, you should definitely see one for a proper evaluation; however, as I mentioned before, most of the time this tinnitus workup turns out negative and it is a chronic condition that people live with and the approach is the one I described in terms of treatment.
Dr. DAN, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine physician, dedicated to high-quality care, uptodate treatment modalities