Dr. Grinman
Dr. Grinman, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Medical Doctor
4600930

Hello, I have a lump in the tricep part of my arm. It seems

Hello, I have a lump in the tricep part of my arm. It seems like it is in deep attached to muscle. How I noticed it was feeling an ache almost painful at times. It's about the size of nickel, at least the part I feel. Sometimes, I have a tight, full, aching sensation of the upper part of my upper arm sometimes. There are times I feel nothing.
Is this be something I should have checked? I am a little overweight so I wonder if its a fatty tumor. Can medications cause a lump?
I actuallu had asked my gynecologist but she said it wasn't in the armpit so I shouldn't worry. I'm not worried really but I know it's there so I think about it sometimes.
I would appreciate any thoughts.
Thank you,
Kim
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Grinman replied 7 years ago.
Hi Kim,
There are fatty tumors called lipomas which are almost always benign. It is possible that this is what you have...though they usually feel movable and rubbery. And as far as I know, being overweight does not predispose you to developing lipomas. Also I doubt it is related to any particular medication.
Even though I have a very low suspicion it is a cancer of any type, I would get it checked out especially if you have symptoms from it and it's making you worry and think about it.
Dr. Grinman
PS Please don't forget to click ACCEPT if you have no further questions. Positive feedback and BONUS are alway warmly appreciated.

Edited by Dr. Grinman on 10/16/2009 at 4:45 AM EST