Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

After a routine blood draw swelling developed in the area near

Customer Question

After a routine blood draw swelling developed in the area near minor bruising from the needle; about 2 inches in diameter, and raised particularly when my arm was at my side, when raised it was not as evident. After 7 days there has been no significant change. My MD's nurse said it is a hematoma and suggested I always request a "butterfly" needle in the future. My MD doesn't think it is a hematoma but some type of soft tumor. I am certain this sweling was was not present prior to the blood draw. The phleb drawing the blood is sure she would have used the other arm had she seen the lump. How much longer should I wait before getting another opinion?? I am really upset about this.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 7 years ago.
Dear Kayte Smith,
Hello.LOcalised haematomas following blood testing occurs fairly frequently if pressure is not applied to the vein after withdrawing the needle.The area is bluish-red in colour and the swelling tends to persist for a couple of weeks.I can understand your being upset,as it need not have occured.I suggest you wait for another week before taking another opinion as by that time the position will be clearer.Had you had any tumour/swelling in that area earlier,you probably would have noticed it.