Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

What does a white blood count of 14 mean

Customer Question

What does a white blood count of 14 mean?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

The normal white blood cell count or a female is 4000 to 12,000. You have a slightly elevated white blood count which most likely indicates some type of infection or inflammation somewhere in your body. Elevated white blood cell count may also come from a reaction to medication, or a disease of the bone marrow causing an elevated white count. Also allergies may cause this and also stress. This is a minor elevation and if you have no symptoms you should not be overly concerned. You may repeat the blood test and most likely it will be normal. If you have any symptoms of urinary tract infection or cough or abdominal pain and your doctor would pursue this as a cause for this slight elevation.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for educational purposes only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor or establish a doctor patient relationship.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is it necessary to see a hemotologist
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
If you have no symptoms I would suggest you repeat the blood count in 4 to 6 weeks.