TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
13956133
Medical

How long does the hantavirus live in the environment I was

How long does the hantavirus... Show More
How long does the hantavirus live in the environment? I was moving a plastic tub of clothes in my garage and when I moved the first tub I found old dried mouse poop under it, no mouse poop was in the tub I was just wondering if I possibly came into contact with the hantavirus. I am 24 weeks pregnant as well and live in Western Colorado.
Category: Medical
replied 7 years ago.

Hello dm-

Hantavirus is thought to generally be able to persist for a variable time in the environment- depending on a number of conditions like humidity, temperature, sunlight and even the diet the rodent had. Indoors is certainly a higher risk than an outdoor exposure. At room temperature, virus is likely viable at least 2-3 days.

Overall infectious viral survival is somewhere from hours to a few days- so that you certainly would need an active and ongoing rodent infestation to become infected- not one from old mice/rats as you seem to be describing.

The infection is contracted from breathing in contaminated air- contaminated by rodent urine, droppings and saliva, or rarely from rodent bites or other indirect contact with droppings.

The incubation between infection and symptoms is generally 2-3 weeks but can be anywhere from 1-5 weeks. If you do develop symptoms like fever, muscle aches and shortness of breath, you should seek medical attention. Frankly I would suspect your risk of hantavirus here is quite low , however.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Edited by TheGermDoctor on 10/14/2009 at 8:19 PM EST