Dr. Chauhan
Dr. Chauhan, Doctor
Experience:  +26 years exp. Reviewer of top medical journals. Listed in Who's Who of the World.

I hit the top of my head extremely hard a few days ago on a

I hit the top of my head extremely hard a few days ago on a refrigerator door. It knocked me completely backwards, I became nauseous (sp?), my pupils were unequal. I have felt very "spacey" since, sometimes unable to form my words correctly. Whenever I accidently touch that spot on my head I have an instant headache. I know it's day since, but should I still consult a doctor? I still have many times a day that I become so dizzy that I nearly fall, I feel sick to my stomach
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chauhan replied 4 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Having gone through your description, I think just a wait and watch is needed, but this would require a check by your doctor to be sure that there has been no internal injury. This could probably have affected your neck to some extent as well. With the persisting problems that you are having, and with an unequal pupil at that, and also feeling spacey for these last few days, I feel it would be appropriate and necessary for you to check in with your doctor for this. Unless checked up, it would be really difficult to say.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry but your answer is not acceptable. First you tell me to wait and watch. Then you basically say that a check by a doctor is necessary. How long should I wait? What should I watch for? If a check is necessary, how soon should I be checked...a few days, a week, etc? I have a long history of head injuries anyhow, dating back as far as a severe head injury with a subdural hematoma (again..sp? LOL!) after a auto accident in my late teens. Since that time I've had a few other diagnosed mild - severe closed head injuries that has taken months to recover from. The knot on my head kinda worries me since I was basically "out of it" during my recovery time, I'm not sure what to watch for since I'm at least "conscious" this time. I feel as though perhaps I should have went to the emergency room that evening but was by myself for several days after the incident and felt unable to drive. Now I feel at least slightly comfortable driving so I don't know what to watch for, how long to watch...etc. Thank you from Diana

Thanks. I agree with you totally, and now with the previous history of multiple head injuries it is all the more necessary for you to check in with your doctor ASAP.

Please have a look again at the response that I had forwarded. It says as much. In that I had mentioned "I think just a wait and watch is needed, but this would require a check by your doctor to be sure that there has been no internal injury". The "wait and watch" is meant for the doctors- your treating physicians/ surgeons. Surely they would not be opening up the skull immediately and would have to investigate further and probably have to "wait and watch".

With your kind of repeated head trauma, there is an urgency here to check in with your doctor/ ER ASAP.

Best wishes.

Dr. Chauhan, Doctor
Experience: +26 years exp. Reviewer of top medical journals. Listed in Who's Who of the World.