Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

My 11 year old daughter developed a pain below her rib cage

Customer Question

My 11 year old daughter developed a pain below her rib cage and down her left side. She had not had a BM in 3 days. I gave her Mirlax, which a GI told me to give her, nothing. I gave her Milk of Magnesia, nothing. I gave her Magnisum Citrate, nothing. I gave her a Glyserin Supository, nothing. My Chiropractor told me to give her 1000 mg of Vitamin C every hour. After about 4 hours things started to move. It took several hours, finally she felt real good like her old self. She had been eating off and on all day. Then about an hour ago she started with the pain beneath the rib cage again. She had an endoscopy done on Monday and everything looked good. I don't know why she started all over again with the pain and constipation.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

Greetings.

Was an upper GI endoscopy done?

Was an ultrasound or any other investigation done?

Has she bloating, nausea, or any urinary problem?

Is there any tenderness?

How severe is the pain on the scale of 0-10?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes upper GI endoscopy was done. No ultrasound. She had Xray of stomach and no blockage. Nausea yes, not bloating or urinary problems. Yes sore to the touch. Severity of pain is 9. She has not felt good for about 6 weeks. She has missed alot of school. She has not been able to eat much over the last 4 weeks. When they did the endoscopy something was cleared in the throat and she was able to swallow. In our investigation we found out yesterday she has a wheat allergy. Has not had any today but while we were trying to figure out what was wrong we were feeding her alot of toast and that kind of things. Also has a slight milk allergy and she was drinking a lot of milk based things to get protein and calaries.

An allergy is a possibility. But usually the allergies do not cause so severe intensity of pain. Allergies usually present with diarrhea than the constipation. So an ultrasound and a CT scan would be the necessary investigation. Appendicitis being one of the common condition, this should be ruled out. Gall bladder problem also will be ruled out by these investigations which are also common. Asking your physician for these work up would be prudent. Seeking an opinion of pediatric gastroenterologist also can be considered.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun