Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K

My ankles are blotchy red, swollen, feel itchy but are painful

My ankles are blotchy red, swollen, feel itchy but are painful to the touch, One leg the right, is wore than the left
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 4 years ago.

has this happened before ?

have you taken any medicine ?

any tests done ?

any previous illness ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It has happened before but disappeared before I could get a doctor's appointment. Usually it is flaming red on one leg only.

No medication taken

no tests

no previous illness

I am taking herbs from Herbal Magic to lose weight and

crestor for colesterol other than than no medication. Last time this happened was about 5 years ago.

About 1985 it began with a red patch about the size of a 50 cent piece and came every year for a few years. Now that I'm retired, it has happened only the 2 time

which ankle or area is more effected ?

are both area red, tender and swollen ?

is there any fever ?

have you been given a diagnosis for this repeated problem ?

any tests recently ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The right ankle is more effected

Yes both areas are red (blotchy, tender and slightly swollen

they are warm

no diagnosis as the doctor said he would need to see the problem before he could give a diagnosis and I never could get to him on time. Last time I was on holliday

No tests

Thanks for input,

is it painful on moving the effected joints ?

can you walk easily without pain ?

pain in any other joint ?

is this pain more marked in the morning or in the evening ?

for how many minutes/hours you have this pain daily ?

does it decreas by using any medicine ?

Edited by Dr S.A.Alam on 10/5/2009 at 2:59 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay

In the morning when I get out of bed, I can hardly walk for the pain but after only a few minutes that pain stops but it is still painful to the touch

When I rotate my ankle it does not hurt after my initial getting up. By the way, if I sit I have to go through that process again of pain but soon dissipates. By the end of the day it is swollen more than in the morning.

Thanks for input,

your most likely problem is arthritis of the ankle joints.

you need to get x rays of these joints and blood tests to diagnose this condition.

refferal to a rheumatologist for clinical evaluation and tests is most appropriate way to

proceed with your problem.

I hope answer was helpful.
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience: MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K