Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

ok my total cholesterol is 208.......as you know total cholesterol

ok my total cholesterol is 208.......as you know total cholesterol is the sum of hdl and ldl and the quotient of triglycerides/5

my hdl is a freakish 104 and my ldl is 89....my triglycerides are 73....following this formula...my total is in fact...207.6

Am I correct in believing that my total cholesterol is fine because the three components that make it up are all well within the "good" range and the hdl is actually remarkably good......thank you
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.

Do you have any risk factors for heart disease?
Smoking?
Family history of heart attack?
Diabetes?
High blood pressure?
Obesity?
Kidney disease?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i am overweight.....only family history was my father who died at 76 of a heart attack...he however had great cholesterol and smoked for 60 years ...i do not smoke.....i am not asking for questions regarding my overall risk factors for heart attack...i am asking about the specific calculation of the total cholesterol...i saw a doctor this morning who told me my cholesterol should be below 208....i said i thought that was probably not true given my remarkable numbers particularly hdl..i asked her how total cholesterol was calculated and she could not answer....i found the answer online in five minutes and did the calculation and came up with 207.6.......just using the hdl, ldl, and triglyc numbers...all of which are excellent and the hdl is fantastic, statistically almost unheard of from what i have read.....so i am asking in terms of the number itself........
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 7 years ago.
Yes, you are correct.
The total number is XXXXX the number to treat.
It is the breakdown (the individual numbers).
I was only asking your risk factors because if you have an LDL over 70 and many risk factors, we do recommend treating...

But you are correct.
Your total number is XXXXX because of your HDL.
Your numbers are excellent and you do not need treatment.

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my answer, please remember to click accept. Thank you!