Dr. Grinman
Dr. Grinman, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Medical Doctor
4600930

I have a pain right above my right breast on my chest, it hurts

I have a pain right above my right breast on my chest, it hurts to touch the area, and the pain goes into my right underarm and goes down to my elbow. It is a burning sensation, and it is not completly numb, but it has a burning, numbness sensation, when I proceed to move my arm up in the air it feels like someone is tearing my skin off under my right arm pit it hurts to even touch under my arm pit and down the underside of my arm it feels like a raw sensation.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Grinman replied 4 years ago.
It sounds like there is something pressing on the nerves..probably in the arm pit area. the nerves that travel down to the arm pass in that region. I would suggest an imaging study of your Brachial Plexus (the big clump of nerves located inside and above the armpit)- preferrably with an MRI to see what is causing this. Feel free to give me an update at a later date.
Dr. Grinman
PS Please don't forget to click ACCEPT if you have no further questions. Positive feedback and BONUS are always warmly appreciated.

Edited by Dr. Grinman on 10/5/2009 at 12:01 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I FELL UP STAIRS ABOUT 4 WEEKS AGO, AND I WENT TO A BONE AND JOINT SPECIALST, BECAUSE I WAS HURTING AROUND THE SCAPULA IN MY BACK . hE TOOK SOME X-RAYS AND SAID NOTHING WAS BROKE, HE JUST TOOK X-RAYS OF MY BACK AND THE TOP OF MY SHOULDER. hE GAVE ME MUSCLE RELAXERS, AND HYDROCODINE. bUT THEY DON'T EVEN HELP WITH THE PAIN. tHIS PAIN STARTED AFTER i WENT TO HIM. bUT WOULD THE MSUCLES IN MY ARMPIT, MAKE THE SEVERE PAIN I HAVE IN MY CHEST ABOVE MY BREAST. IT FEELS LIKE SOMEONE HAS HIT ME VERY HARD IN MY CHEST. ALSO IF A NERVE IS PICNCHED DOES IT CAUSE THIS BURNING SENSATION? aND WOULD IT HURT TO TOUCH THAT AREA?
1) Yes nerve pain can be very sharp (lancinating). Problems with the bracial plexus (called brachial plexitis) is extremely painful.
2) Sometimes areas can be painful to touch because of nerve irritation. This is called allodynia. The other possiblity is that there is focal inflammation in the chest (not sure from what at this point). Whatever is causing the pain may also be putting pressure on the nerves in the arm pit.
Dr. Grinman
Dr. Grinman, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Medical Doctor