Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine

Ive been having fluid draining from my ear at night for at

I've been having fluid draining from my ear at night for at least two years now. I'm a side sleeper and I get drainage from the ear I'm sleeping on. It causes an itching sensation on the outer ear. What causes it and what can I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Have this ever been checked by doctor or ENT doc? Drainage often is from an outer ear infection or external otitis. Claritin won't help the drainage. This sounds like an on going infection.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How can it be an outer ear infection when it's been going on for a couple years? I take the allergy medicine because I thought my sinuses might be draining into the ear canal.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Sinuses don't drain into the ear canal. I can't tell you online what the problem is but you need to see and ENT doc and have your ear examined. A CAT scan is also most likely needed.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, I'm uninsured and unemployed at this time so I can't go to a doctor. If it is an outer ear infection is there anything over-the-counter I could try? I don't swim but maybe a swimmers ear medication?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
I wouldn't advice any over the counter ear drops. There is some infection causing this problem and only by seeing a doctor can this be treated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I appreciate the advice and am about ready to accept, but one more question. Can this type of infection really hang around for a couple years?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
It's unusual for an outer ear infection to last this long. Usually patients see a doc and get treatment early so the natural history of untreated infections is not as well understood. Also there can be fungal infections in the ear canal that can last a long time.