Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS

my blood test has serum appearance slight hemolysis - can

my blood test has serum appearance: slight hemolysis - can you explain?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I would like to have few details from you. what other tests done to find out the cause of hemolysis? you are anemic? any other known medical disorder you have?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No other test done, I just get my blood done every 6 months to a year. I was born in Belgium, came here at 28 to denver colorado and got the gout problem - doctor said probably dehydration related - I drink more water and no more problems, I am a plumber so pretty active

all normal except HB AIC is 6.1 and triglycerides are 313 - father died of hart problems at 53, mom still alive at 80.Total cholesterol 169, HDL 38, LDL 68.

Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your details and really appreciate that. This is related to my field of specialty. I would say that you need proper further work up. There are many causes of hemolysis of red blood cells and some of important are like in infections, immune disorders just in autoimmune, drug induced. The cause should be rule out because it can leads to anemia if left untreated. You should drink plenty of fluids and keep an eye on your blood sugar levels which are on higher side as indicative from HBA1c levels. You should also do your regular fasting blood sugar levels tested at equal intervals. Your triglycerides are also high try to reduce it with the help of diet control and exercise. I will recommend you to see Hematologist for complete evaluation and to find out the cause of your blood hemolysis like possibilities which I mentioned. I can give the possibilities and show the right direction here.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed