Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I have a red/purple discoloration that is around my anus and

I have a red/purple discoloration that is around my anus and extends up the inside of both cheeks of my buttocks. The red/purple area is warm to the touch. I also have a hard, "under the skin" pimple/boil that does not have a head , nor is it discolored in any way. The red/purple area does not itch. There is an inflamed area that is at the top of the crack of my buttocks.

Is this a staph infection in your opinion?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 4 years ago.
How long have you had this?

Have you been diagnosed by a doctor to have staph infection under the skin?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I have not been diagnosed by a doctor to have staph. I am taking the amoxicillin due to having it on hand from a sinus infection and made a self-diagnosis that my redness was probably an infection of some type.

I originally noticed the boil and redness about 2-3 days ago.

Since you mention that the area is warm to the touch and there is a hard area under the skin, this could be an infection causing cellulitis.

Cellulitis is infection of the tissues under the skin.

Cellulitis may be caused by various bacteria, most commonly by streptococcus. It could also be a staph infection.

You should consult your doctor for this. You will need antibiotics for this. The amoxycillin alone may not help specially in staph infections. In that case you would need a higher strength of antibiotic. Hence you should consult your doctor to get the appropriate treatment.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.