Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.

My husband has alternating high blood pressure rate 150/87

My husband has alternating high blood pressure rate 150/87 with lower pulse rate eg 69 beats pm and then changes to lower blood pressure rate 137/83 but higher pulse rate e.g. 100 beats pm

Thanks for your question.

Since when does he have high blood pressure?

Is he on any medications presently?

Any symptoms?

Any other medical condition? Daily medications?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He had a bout of breathlessness and general unwellness last year and had ecg and a range of other tests including lung but nothing showed. He has been fine till about July this year and developed the breathlessness again but now has developed the above symptoms. We have had a vast change of diet to see if this is the problem while we wait to visit a specialist. He is on no medication

Thanks for your reply.

Basically he seems to have developed essential hypertension, which is increased blood pressure without any identifiable cause.

Normally in a healthy adult blood pressure should be lower than 140/90 mm of Hg and the pulse rate should be between 60 and 100.

In most people with high blood pressure, there are no symptoms.

Presently I would suggest weight loss, exercise, and low sodium intake. Also you must know that the essential mineral which is the biggest key to prevention and treatment of heart disease is magnesium. Many studies have shown that patients with high blood pressure have a magnesium deficiency.

Hence in addition to multivitamins, you can also take a good mineral formula that includes zinc, copper, boron, iodine, cobalt, manganese, molybdenum, vanadium, chromium, selenium, calcium, and magnesium. Eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and drinking plenty of water is also beneficial. Cutting back on sugar and caffeine may also be helpful.

Some studies have shown that beet juice can also be helpful in reducing blood pressure.

For other recommendations please read this web resource:

If his blood pressure is not reduced even with the above measures, or if he has symptoms such as headaches or dizziness, then you may need to hasten the appointment with your doctor, since he may require medications for the control of his blood pressure.

Take care.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.

Please note that answers and advice are for information only, and do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor, and does not establish a patient-physician relationship. Please Consult a Physician in your State for Medical Advice.

Answers provided through are for educational and research purposes only.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi I still cant understand why he is alternating with the blood pressure and a pulse rate which alternates from 69 to 111 with no difference in exercise

Thanks for your reply.

Basically this is a physiologic phenomenon, where increased blood pressure will give rise to low pulse rate and decreased blood pressure will give rise to a high pulse rate normally.

But a pulse rate of 111 without exercising is certainly concerning, and I would advise a repeat EKG presently.

Take care.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am going to accept your reply because I appreciate your help but is there anything we can do until we can see a doctor or should he present at a hospital.

Thanks for your reply.

I think that considering such wide fluctuations in the heart rate and increased blood pressure, he must at least require a repeat EKG. If you cannot see your doctor, I would suggest an urgent care clinic or ER where this investigation can be done.

Take care.