FamilyMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Licensed in Georgia, Board Certified Family Practice

what causes a burning sensation all over the body,chills, hot

what causes a burning sensation all over the body,chills, hot flashes in a 35 year old, noted especially after sex with someone who is HIV negative?
Category: Medical
Expert:  FamilyMD replied 7 years ago.

There are several possible diagnoses:

1. Hypothyroidism--if the thyroid is low
2. Premature menopause--are you starting to have irregular periods?
3. Infection--could be an STD, even if the person was HIV negative, you could get another sexually transmitted disease.

What you need to do:

1. Get TSH, free T4 blood tests
2. Get FSH and LH tests for premature menopause
3. Get CBC with diff and GC/Chlamydia swab for STD testing and infection

Please see your primary care doctor for the above tests and personal evaluation. Thank you.

Dr. P.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did a HIV test and also a full panel work up for all STDs. I also thought of hypothyroidism and premature menopause, but this is my concern - symptoms definitely are correlated with sex with this individual. I even tried to have him pull out once, but I still had the symptoms after. Is there such a thing as sexual incompatibility?...for whatever reason???
Expert:  FamilyMD replied 7 years ago.

Given that you are having actual physical symptoms, I don't think this is incompatibility. It would be facetious to say you are allergic to him:) Anyways, lets look at hypothyroidism, infection, and premature menopause. You may have some type of viral infection, that is not HIV, but a CBC blood test will tell us if it is likely bacterial or viral. Please get checked out. Thanks!

Dr. P.