Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing

Feelings of pins and needles between my shoulder blades

Customer Question

I don't see all the symptoms here so I'm confused. I'm having chills. Feelings of pins and needles between my shoulder blades. Strange spells of vision and dizziness. Extreme soreness in my muscles and joints in my upper body and arms and I've had a cough in the evenings for about 3 weeks that started after I ate lobster and got really sick from it. The horrible chills and pins and needles in my back just started 3 nights ago though. Any suggestions. Sometimes the chills go through my entire body and I feel like I've been thrown into a bath of ice water. Thank you for your time. Joyce
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 4 years ago.

Any other medical problems or medications? Are you coughing any thing up? Do you smoke?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do smoke about a pack a day but I'm not coughing anything up at all. It's a VERY SMALL tickle in my left lung. Doesn't feel at all like anything needs to be coughed up and the cough isn't constant at all. Just a little in the evening and a little vicks under the nose seems to stop it. I do have mitral valve prolapse which I take Toprol XL for and am on paxil and wellbutrin for depression and am slowly in the process of weening off the paxil at this time. My doctor has me on Prometrium and Estradiol rotation for a year due to menopause and I am on 100mg of Topamax for complicated migraines. I have also just been switched to Levothyroxine 125mcg from Armour Thyroid 90 mg because of the FDA change.

Hmm. That is very curious. I suspect that your symptoms are not related to the lobster- I think that this is (for lack of a better term) a 'red herring'.

It sounds like you have alot of rather vague symptoms which could point to systemic illness, like an autoimmune disease or a hormone deficiency (low thyroid). Lupus and rhuematoid arthritis are the most common inflammatory arthritides which are tested for, there is collagen vascular disease, sjorgens, etc.. Fibromyalgia is also a consideration. I noted that you recently changed thyroid medications- perhaps your body is absorbing the new medication differently and the dose needs to be adjusted.

In addition, certain malignancies, such as lymphoma and leukemia can give you vague symptoms of fevers, weight loss, night sweats, enlarged lymph nodes and even rashes As well, certain vitamins deficiencies can cause the same symptoms. Finally, an indolent infection such as HIV can give you the same symptoms. Other ones include tuberculosis. Not to mention other immune deficiency syndromes. So, I would:
1. consider a consultation with a rheumatologist
2. ask about vitamin deficiencies.
3. get tested for hormonal abnormalities- recheck your thyroid
4. consider a consultation with an infectious disease doctor and immunologist if the other steps above are negative for disease. The last thing this could be would be stress, but that is more of a diagnosis of exclusion. I would talk to your GP about the above possibilities before deciding that it is stress-related.

Warm regards

Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for you assistance. This makes sense as I do have stress in my life so it could be as simple as that, plus as far as the thyroid, when he switched me, he actually increased my dose and it was at the EXACT time I switched from Armour to the new that the symptoms started. You may have pegged it! Thank you!
wow- that would be easy! :)