Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Physician
Experience:  Practicing Medicine and Surgery since 1992
17282639

I recently had an MRI due to fatigue and diplopia. The concern

I recently had an MRI due to fatigue and diplopia. The concern was MS. The MRI was not consistant with what is seen in MS, however, there is a section of the MRI report which I would like more information on. It states: "There are 4 "notch-like"defects along the anterior margin of the corpus callosum with hypointense T1 weighted signal. There is corresponding well defined T2 hyperintense signal foci measuring up to 3 mm. There are several small T2 hyperintense, T1 hyposintense nonenhancing defects in the inferior margin of the corpus callosum." The neurologist didn't seem to have a concern with this and I am wondering if this is something worth persuing further. Please help. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Virginia.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

From the sound of the description, there is nothing to worry about. There often are spots on MRI that don't correspond to anything. They have been jokingly called UBO's (Unidentified Bright Objects). Besides, the area of the brain does not correspond to your symptoms (double vision).

As far as your symptoms, how long have you had them? Do you have diabetes? Has he done a spinal tap?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your response. As far as my symptoms go I was experiencing muscle weakness and twitching in multiple areas of the body, especially in the legs and face, extreme fatigue and minor double-vision. These symptoms have appeared over the last 2 years and usually last 1 - 2 weeks. I was also experiencing a pins and needles sensation in my arm that lasted approximately 2 weeks. The Doctor hasn't ordered a Spinal Tap, but says if this happens again that will be the next step. As far as I'm aware I don't have diabetes. My PCP mentioned a seizure disorder, however I've never had a seizure. I do have a Vitamin D deficiency and a CBC revealed low Iron saturation and CO2; high EOS and HGB.
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 5 years ago.

I am glad the MRI was normal. This doesn't sound like seizures to me. I agree, with your age and symptoms, MS needs to be evaluated for. You probably need a spinal tap and nerve conduction testing. Other than MS, this could be nutritional deficiency (B12, Folate), or some sort of chemical toxicity.

Dr. Chan, Physician
Experience: Practicing Medicine and Surgery since 1992