Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS; MD
4079050

hello, my brother has stage 3c melanoma of the foot, groin

Customer Question

hello, my brother has stage 3c melanoma of the foot, groin lympph nodes(18) were positive. I know his prognosis is poor, however, he has shut himself out from his immediate family, how do we handle this, do we just leave him alone? thanks, ginger
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Hello weasesl,

I am very sorry to hear about your brother. But presence of a life threatening disease could give rise to various problems such as adjustment disorder or depressive disorder and most of them are thought to be reactive to the knowledge of having cancer.

When a person learn that he or she has life threatening cancer, their psychological reactions include fear of death, fear of abandonment , denial, anxiety, anger and guilt. Suicidal thoughts and wishes are also frequent in such patients.

In my view, he should be seen by a psychiatrist and the appropriate treatment should be given.

Best wishes
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for your concern and advice. unfortunately, larry will not speak about his cancer, he feels i also betrayed him, as i told his adult sons their father had cancer, in a advanced stage; as larry kept making excuses so as not to tell them. so it goes! anyway, thanks again
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about that. But I also feel that this is a transient phase as he may be going through the stages of denial, anger and shock and things will improve in a short while from now.

Best wishes