Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

What does a nodule on the kidney mean when the doctor says

What does a nodule on the kidney mean when the doctor says it looks normal, but need a follow-up ultrasound in 6 months. Is this serious?
Nodules and Cysts of the kidney are quite common and are often found incidentally in Ultrasound or CT done for other conditions.

The majority of renal nodules are benign nodules. These are specially common with age. In case of benign nodules, there is no need of treatment and the only thing to be observed is a wait and see procedure. You will require annual or bi-annual checkups.

Since the majority of nodules are benign, it is accepted protocol to only keep this under observation and monitoring, as you have been advised.

One thing that you should discuss with the doctor in case you wish a more active treatment is a CT or Ultrasound guided FNAC, this test is essential for a proper diagnosis.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. It helps put my mind at ease.
Glad I could help.