Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS; MD

Goodmorning, I am currently on Effexor XR 150 mg, which was

I am currently on Effexor XR 150 mg, which was increased from 112.5mg since 1 week ago. I am having bad thoughts now, I feel very depressed, and last night around 6pm I took Klonopin .75mg(I cut one of the .50) which was enough to make me sleep thru to this morning in hopes I don't sit here and have these thoughts and then freak myself out that I am having these thoughts.

My question is could the increased dosage be doing this? And what should I do? Will it pass? This feelings is horrible.

I am on Effexor for Anxiety and depression now-Secondary to Anxiety. Also I do noticed hormonal changes at specific times of the month, and I am about9 days late on getting my period. (not pregnant-checked)

Please help,
Thank you so much
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Hello Lili,

With Effexor it is noted clinically that side effects such as nervousness, headaches, insomnia etc. increase with higher doses at least transiently and sometimes also when we increase the dose.

So there are chances that you may be having these symptoms because of increase of the dose. If these symptoms persist, in my view you should consult your treating doctor to find out the exact cause and if required going back to the previous tolerable dose.

If you have any other query, please feel free to ask.

Best wishes
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your response =)
What I am wondering though is can an increased dose cause depression/suidal thoughts when it previously didn't?

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.

Yes it may rarely cause activation of suicidal ideation as well as induction of hypomania also and It is considered as a dangerous side effects. In this case you should consult with your treating doctor as soon as possible.