FamilyMD
FamilyMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Licensed in Georgia, Board Certified Family Practice
19526965

My left ear feels like bugs are crawling out of it or it feels

Customer Question

My left ear feels like bugs are crawling out of it or it feels like its bleeding, I did bang my head quite hard in July, I have had severe headaches and the top of my head is very sensative to touch. I went to emergency due to the constant ear pain and the headache would not go away and became more intense. They did a blood test to rule out Temporal Arteritis, they did not do a biopsy, they then did a CT of my head and it was normal, they did not do the ear or jaw. My Doctor thinks it might be TMJ which I have had for many years but it has not bothered me for years. I do not have real jaw pain. I have been going to a chiroprator and have seen him 15 times and there is no relief. I went to my ENT specialist and he said there is nothing wrong with my ear and had a hearing test and it was fine. I can't stand this constant feeling in my ear and I don't know what to do next, its becoming very bothersome and I am ready to rip my hair out, any ideas of what it might me.
Category: Medical
Expert:  FamilyMD replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomer

Have you tried decongestant medication? You may just have some fluid in the ears that makes it feel like bugs are crawling or bleeding is going on. You are probably a little scared it could be blood because of how hard the impact was. Try the decongestant, and use a Neti Pot salt sinus rinse to remove mucous from the sinuses--this will keep fluid out of the Eustachian tubes, and you'll be able to rest easy. Hope this helps:)

Dr. P.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If it is fluid in my ears, would the Ear Nose Throat specialist not be able to tell as he checked my ears and said they were fine. I use Nasonex and that hasn't helped at all. I have tried a neti pot before and it stuffs me up. Is a decongestant different than Nasonex?
Expert:  FamilyMD replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomer

Yes, a decongestant is different from Nasonex. Nasonex is a steroid, which will reduce the inflammation in the nose. The decongestant Sudafed is a vasoconstrictor, which will constrict the vessels in the nose and ears and reduce the drainage of fluid. I feel that it is possible to have periodic drainage into the ears, which may not have been present when the ENT did his exam. Take care:)

Dr. P.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your help, I have taken 12 extra strength decongestants and I still have the problem. Any thoughts on what I should do next. When I was at the ENT he said it could be a bruise and could take a while to get better. This is 3 months and there is no improvement. Could this possibly be some sort of nerve pressing or damage and should I perhaps ask my Doc for a MRI/CT of my jaw/ear. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks again
Laurie
Expert:  FamilyMD replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomer

It may be a good idea to get MRI/CT if the problem is this persistent. We tried conservative measures with Nasonex and decongestants. If the sensation of bugs crawling or bleeding is still present, then just for peace of mind, we should try MRI of the brain to determine if there is anything else going on. Are you still having headaches? Please see your ENT and let him know your concern. Ask him about the MRI. Thank you.

Dr. P.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry to be such a pest, I live in Winnipeg Canada and the wait time for an MRI is approx 15-20 weeks, I don't think I can wait that long if this persists. Should I maybe go to the ER, I am a little reluctant to go as they will think its probably minor and not do anything about it.
As a patient do I have a right to demand an MRI/CT . Also did I pay you for this yet? I don't know how to find out if I have? Thanks again and have a good weekend.
Laurie
Expert:  FamilyMD replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomer

If the problem is really bothersome, then go to the ER. However, the ER doctor may be hesitant to order MRI, given you've already had a normal CT scan. Unless you say your headaches are still severe after a strong head injury, and you have strange ear sensations, the Er doctor may not otherwise consider an MRI. You can request them to do an MRI. You can say that MRI is more accurate at detecting chronic bleeding in the brain compared to CT scan. Given you are still symptomatic weeks after the incident, you would like an MRI. I hope this helps:) You've already paid me. Thanks!

Dr. P.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help, much appreciated
Expert:  FamilyMD replied 7 years ago.
Please let me know how things turn out. Thank you.

Dr.P