Dr.PMT
Dr.PMT, Doctor
Experience:  Hospital Medicine, Internal Medicine, interest in Palliative Medicine
21503378

My stomach is always bloated, I have been burping a lot and

Customer Question

My stomach is always bloated, I have been burping a lot and occasionally feel nausea. Never feel like I can eat a meal without feeling very uncomfortable. Constipation is definitely a problem. I try my best to eat healthy. Am in my upper 50's & take no medications of any kind........aspirin once in a while for sinus headaches. Feel like if I there was no constipation, I'd have no problem but not sure. What could be wrong with me?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.PMT replied 7 years ago.

hi there. i suspect that you might have symptoms of reflux. If you're not open to taking medication, what options are you willing to try? Herbal? alternative?

I promise I will get back to you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am open to any alternative action to hlpe me. Am definitely more concerned about my constipation and stomach staying bloating all the time. This is just not normal. I have thought Reflux may be a possiblity but it is only a recent thing..............what about my other symptoms of which I am more concerned?
Expert:  Dr.PMT replied 7 years ago.

the bloating and the nausea is probably reflux. staying away from acidic foods is a start, but to treat it you would have to be on acid suppressing medication... if you are unwilling to try this, acupuncture has been helpful.. but you have to be wary that chronic reflux has its consequences... it can damage the lining of your esophagus too.... I suggest maybe taking something otc like prilosec to start.

with regards XXXXX XXXXX constipation... i saw your food list... if you eat more fibrous foods that will help with your constipation. There's an over the counter fiber supplement called metamucil that's natural from psyllium and if you drink it with a glass of water 2-3 x a day that will help with you bowel movements.... and also, physical activity if you're able to get around to doing some cardio exercise.

This is probably the most conservative approach that you can do.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Did not realize the bloating & nausea may be reflux. Good to know. Constipation? Which foods are more fibrous? Stay away from acidic foods? Which foods are those, fruit? I do eat a lot of fruit. Water is all I drink, all the time........a lot of water every day....rarely drink anything else. I get a lot of physical activity, exercise & dancing. So, knowing what foods are fibrous (eating more) & acidic (stay away from) may help me, right? I have tried metamucil before & like all the over the counter ones that are easy, after a few weeks they quit working for me. Is it safe to take metamucil all the time?
Expert:  Dr.PMT replied 7 years ago.

metamucil is psyllium husk which is natural. it may seem like the effect dissipates over time but if you take it regularly it will keep your bowels more regular, less constipated.... acidic fruits are orange pineapple and citrus... uhm... now that you mentioned it, i suspect that you maybe eating too many acidic fruits then... Do not stay away from them but do eat a meal/ something light before consuming the citrus fruits...

stay away from carbonated drinks...

if you have time please read on this:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/irritable_bowel_syndrome/article_em.htm

it's a fairly common problem so you might be one of these people who has a functional problem.

Do work with your physician because Irritable bowel is a lifelong disease, it's poorly understood but through symptom relief you'll probably be able to cope.

I hope I helped you.