Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

Is there a link between scoliosis and asthma

Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 years ago.

No not really. The only potential connection could be that severe scoliosis could have some impact to impair breathing. The full quantity of air that a person can take in in a breath may be reduced in a severe case of scolosis. This decrease in respiratory volume could contribute to the shortness of breath experienced by an asthmatic. Asthma , however is caused by a sensitivity to certain allergens and resultant bronchospasm. The scolosis has no direct connection with this disease process.I hope this information helps. Further questions are welcome if you have any.If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please press the "ACCEPT" button so that I may get paid for my work. thank You and best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am 30 years old and have s-scoliosis. Last friday I had what seemed to be an asthma attack, I have never had asthma, allergies yes, but I was inside sitting in my office chair. My chest got tight and burned and I couldn't get air. I nearly passed out twice this is the first time this has happened. Was this and asthma attack or panic or just something else?
Hello again!

Since you have a known history of allergies then this increases the likelihood of you having a possible asthma reaction. Asthma is just one possible allergy response. Often a person who has one form of an allergy is more likely to develop other expressions of allergies.The history that you feel that your chest was tight could fit with bronchospasm. Usually spasm of larger airways is felt as a tightness and spasm of smaller airways produces wheezing. Based on your history alone at this point I could not rule out the possibility of a panic attack. With a panic attack a person typically may feel that they can't breathe and other symptoms usually coincide. If you had the instinct to leave the space that you were in then this would point more toward the possibility of a panic attack. Hyperventilation can make a person feel faint or even pass out. If you had numb or a tingling sensation especially of the fingers or around the mouth then that would be the most typical presentation of parasthesia(abnormal sensation) associated with hyperventilating. Hyperventilation causes the CO2 in your system to drop and the pH to rise and this causes the paresthesia. Generally speaking a panic attack patient "feels like they are about to die" and has a rush of strange and simultaneus symptoms.I would recommend that you make a follow up with your doctor to discuss your symptoms further. If you have had no cough or wheezing then this would make me less suspicious of an asthma attack as the cause.I hope this information helps. Further questions are welcome if you have any. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD