Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I stopped taking my Lisinopril meds this past Saturday, but

I stopped taking my Lisinopril meds this past Saturday, but not cold turkey. I had been taking 1/2 of a 20 mg tablet for several months. I am beginning to feel a little chest pain, and wonder if this is because of stopping the med. I also have been taking around 400-500 mg potassium (1 capsule of 99 mg with salty dinners, and in early morning hours if my heart is pounding some when I wake up to go to the bathroom. I also take metoprolol, nifedipin and furosemide. I had a heart attack in 2005, and one in 2007. I have read so many bad things about all these drugs that I want to get off all of them. I chose Lisinopril because I read on a forum/blog of so many other people stopping it with no apparent ill effects. Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.

There are several levels of analysis. The best advice is dependant upon details of your cadiac evaluation. Lisinopril can be very important after a heart attack, aprticularly if a larger amount of heart muscle was invovled. Lisinopril can protect against worsening congestive heart failure as well as worsening kidney function. The fact that you are also on furoseamide suggests that you have had some problem with congestion in the past. It would not be adviseable to stop the lisinopril without discussing this with your physician so that you can properly understand the risk and benefit from doing so.

Metoprolol helps prevent heart arrhythmias and sudden death after heart attacks. Nifedipine could have been started for a variety of reasons, so it is difficult to advise on the risk of stopping it.

If you are having chest pain after stopping the lisinopril, it may be related to worsening congestive heart failure or cardiac ischemia (poor blood supply). It would be best to resume the lisinopril. You should be seen by your physician for the chest pain. You should discuss whether to stop any medicine with your physician, who can best advise you on the possible risks or benefits. Information from the internet, including through this website, cannot provide you the level of individualized recommendations that can come from a physician that has performed an appropriate history and physcial examination.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what about the potassium? it stops pounding of my heart after I have consumed foods with salt in them. I take a lot of supplements, including magmesium, ubiquinol, taurine, ribose and other antioxidants and enzymes.
The furoseamide can cause a loss of potassium and eating more sodium will increase the amount of potassium that is lost. A low potassium can cause a number of cardiac problems, including arrhythmias. Replacing the potassium is important, but the level of potassium in your blood should be checked periodically to ensure that there is adequate potassium replacement without becoming too elevated. Elevated potassium can also be life-threatening. The supplements that you are taking may be of benefit, but they are not an adequate substitute for the lisinopril.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
one more little question--should i take it now or wait until tomorrow?

You actually could do either, but since you are having symptoms, it may be best to take a 1/2 dose now, the start the regular dose tomorrow.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.