Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Experience:  Physician with 8 years of experience.
17382760

Does metaformin often cause gout to return to user

Does metaformin often cause gout to return to user?
Hello

Welcome to just answer,

Ans to your question-Metformin is substantially excreted by the kidney so if serum creatinine =1.5 mg/dL in males or =1.4 mg/dL in females then we do not give metformin.In gout urate crystals are precipitated in renal tubules due to under or over excretion,so there is a possibility your kidney function is mildly impaired and that might lead to exacerbation of gout symptoms.
So ask your physician to do BUN and serum creatinine test.As such there is no data suggesting direct association of metformin leading to gout to my knowledge.
Thanks
Always ask if you need clarification/more information.Please click ACCEPT button to get my credit.POSITIVE feedback& BONUS are warmly appreciated. Please note that answer is for information only. It can't be a substitute to visit the doctor.