Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

I have severe calf pain after sitting for an extended period

I have severe calf pain after sitting for an extended period of time. Sometimes I wake up with the pain. The pain persists for a couple of days. i have had an ultrasound and no blood clots, veins looked good. What is the problem and what is the treatment?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
What is you age? Any health issues? Do you have any swelling or skin color change or vein engorgement on calf or around knee? Is it a dull pain? Is it fixed at one point or radiates?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm an inactive 36 year old. I have mental illness, Diabetes Type II, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. HPV, Sinus Tachycardia and recovering alcoholic and addict. It may be a tiny bit swollen compared to the right leg. But not very noticable. No color change or warmness. It is a dull aching pain. Fixed right in the center of the left calf.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
How often you get this pain and does it respond to the conservative measures? Any precipitating factors that you can recall, like excessive use, walXXXXX, XXXXXding for long time?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It occurs daily and will last for a few days so it goes away rarely. It seems to stim from excessive sitting or walking. No precipitating factors. It even hurts some mornings when I wake up and get out of bed and start walking. Don't know if this helps but sometimes after externded time walking or sitting i have pain in both hips and it takes a few minutes to "Straighten up" and walk correctly. I played a lot of sports in school.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
It seems like you have been struggling with this problem for long time. As you have been already evaluated for blood clots and vein problem, and were given green signals, this is less likely to be related to vascular problem. There are many causes of calf pain including muscle strain, baker's cyst, blood clots, muscle rupture and cramps. Prolong walking and inappropriate sitting or sitting for extended period puts pressure in your knee and surrounding area which can cause musculoskeletal pain. Based on the information, I don't see any alarming feature at this time, and sounds like musculoskeletal pain. The usual treatments for these kind of pain are giving rest to your leg by avoiding prolong walking/sitting, use of ice pack and hot compresses/hot water bag, stretching and physical exercise. If you can make it then visiting an orthopedic surgeon would be a better option just to make sure, that you are not putting extra pressure on your left knee.
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.