Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery

My arms and hands were going numb when I lie down on either

My arms and hands were going numb when I lie down on either side, even the arm that is on top that I am not lying on. I can only sleep on my back now with my arms straight down or they tingle and go numb. Usually when I would sit up or stand, my arms would come back, but now in the mornings if I brush my teeth or blow dry my hair, try to write, or carry something, my arms tingle and go numb. I had a few tests 2 months ago and the neurologist said it was positional and it was an inconvenience I had to live with.   It is getting worse and I want to know what could be the cause?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Which fingers are most affected?

Did your neurologist order any testing, such as a MRI of the cervical spine, or a EMG test?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my thumbs and first finger however my whole arms go numb. I had a test to check blood flow/blockage, sorry don't remember what it was called with some kind of a sensor attached to the finger, and an ultra sound.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Do you have neck discomfort as well?

And is the pinky and ring finger clearly not involved in the pain or numbness?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I usually have a stiff neck and shoulders ( I thought might have something to do with a bad fall/concussion I had 8 years ago while skating, and from which I still have positional vertigo). I believe my pinkie and ring finger go tingly too, it seems like the whole hand, but I feel much more stiffness occuring in the other fingers when it is happening.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

From what you are describing -- it would seem to make sense that your doctors should consider doing a MRI of the cervical spine for evaluation of your symptoms.

The neck pain and shoulder pains, with pains down the arms and tingling in the hand all point toward the possibility of a "pinched" nerve in your neck as a source for your pain.

Certain positions -- that aggravate the nerve -- can worsen the symptoms.

This is called cervical radiculopathy:

And an EMG test could also help in this evaluation.