Dr.Saurabh Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor
Experience:  Physician,Neuro and Vascular Interventional Radiologist

My right knee feels tight when I flex it, there is no noticeable

My right knee feels "tight" when I flex it, there is no noticeable swelling, there was no significant event where I noticed anything happen to it- except:
On ?Wednesday the 16th I was running on the treadmill at the gym when I felt like I was doing a bit too much too soon, and went back to walking.(I am 5'9", weigh 180, am 18% body fat, and have going to the gym for 15 years, and this spring I was walking 8-16 miles a day for my job as a field biologist)

My knee felt -at the time I was running- that the joint was not quite settled into place. I also recently came back from a 10 day meditation course where I was sitting on a kneeling bench for about 4-5 hours a day, but I have a 8 year history of meditating -usually an average of 3-5 hours a week, but more like 8-10 hours a week since June this summer.

Back to the knee. I went to the gym again on Friday, and ran for 30 minutes with no noticeable symptoms, and did leg extensions using about 30#, a light weight for me historically. Th
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Saurabh Joshi replied 4 years ago.

This tightness can be an early sign of Osteo-Arthritis of the knee that can occur with age or due increased stress on the knee, in young people.

This tightness can also be a sign of recent soft tissue injurylike a ligament sprain or a meniscal tear, but that is usually acompanied by pain and swelling.

I would advise you to see a doctor, preferably an Orthopedician and have an X Ray of your knee.

Thus would look for signs of OA of be Knee.

Kind Regards,

Dr. Joshi

Edited by Dr.Saurabh Joshi on 9/20/2009 at 8:34 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would an xray show soft tissue injuray? There was no "event" other than the subtle sense while on the treadmill that something was wrong.
I blew out my left ACL skiing in 1999 and had surgery with about (my sense of things-90%-95% recovery of full use) and That event was a "Oh sh#t, that burning searing pain in the back of my knee was NOT good."

Wouldn't a meniscal tear have more pain associated with it?
My main concern at this point is- If I wait for a few weeks and see what happens, would I know if I did more damage to it? I prefer to "wait and see" with pain limited use before I go into the whole medical thing. I have insurance (not one of the 30million!-yet) but live in a remote place where we have some GP's but no Orthopedists nearby_like within 200 miles.

An X Ray would not show a soft tissue injury, but a physical examination would give a very good idea about a possible Ligamentous / Meniscal injury because of the increased laxity and typical tenderness associated with these type of injuries.

A General Physician would be able to tell if a referal to an Orthopedician is necessary and furher tests like an MRI can be done if required.

Please see a doctor, that should help you.

Kind Regards,

Dr. Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor
Experience: Physician,Neuro and Vascular Interventional Radiologist