Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS

I have been having tremors while sleeping. I notice them just

Customer Question

I have been having tremors while sleeping. I notice them just as I'm falling asleep , and for a few seconds after I wake. Approx 3-5 shakes/sec. whole body.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I sleep alone for the most part, only thing noticed by others is snoring . No other problems during the day. I try to stay active walk / jog 5-10 miles a day, and am in gen good health .
Blood works came back as good -chol a bit high. The tremors wake me from sleep sometimes several times a night.
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomerbr />
The causes for these tremors can be
  • Physiologicalmeaning these are considered normal and do not indicate any disease state.These may include sleep starts, or sudden jerks as one is falling asleep, and periodic limb movements which are commonly seen in the first third of sleep.
  • Pathological causes meaning there is a disorder which needs to be treated.These causes may include
  1. Sleep apnea.In this condition a person has obstruction of breathing several times during sleep leading to either awakening or moving to light sleep.Limb movements or tremors may occur during these episodes.
  2. Periodic limb movement disorder is another cause in which the linbs jerk while sleep.Legs are more commonly involved but upper limbs can also be involved.These movements may be normal in some people during the first third of sleep and may not lead to awakening.
  3. REM behavior disorders can also lead to such disorders but this condition is rare.
  4. Seizures also need to be ruled out though with the history you have given it is unlikely.
You need to see a sleep specialist for the evaluation and diagnosis of the condition.Following is the link to a reource where you can find more about sleep disorders and also find a sleep specialist in your area.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
As I stated ,this condition effects the whole body, not just limbs. It also maintains a rhythm.
I have noticed it starting just before falling asleep and ending several seconds after waking.

Sleep apnea is one of the commonest causes and though I have earlier written about limb movements in sleep apnea whole body can also have tremors due to sleep apnea.You would need to undergo sleep study for this.

In addition it is not possible to diagnose the cause of your tremors without a complete physical and neurological examination and investigations.

Therefore as I have suggested earlier you need to see a sleep specialist.