Dr. Zia
Dr. Zia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG Certified

Hi Last Sunday I woke up with a purple bruise under my eye

Last Sunday I woke up with a purple bruise under my eye and had not fone anything to cause it. I have got up this morning and the same thing has happened, Do you have any idea what might have caused this?
Thank you
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 7 years ago.
Bruise under the eye usually means that there has been some trauma to the forehead or around the eyes that caused it. It may also have been caused by some trauma to your eye during sleep. However I would like to have your CBC done to have a look at your platelets and make sure that they are normal. Additionally I would also like to have your coagulation profile done to make sure that is normal as well because when there is unexplained bruising a low platelet and an abnormal coagulation profile should be ruled out.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I live alone and have had no trauma to the head at all and as I had full blood test done two months ago do you think it possible that my platelet or coagulation profile would change in such a short time?

Expert:  Dr. Zia replied 7 years ago.
It is UNLIKELY that your platelet and coagulation profile would change in a short period of time, however if you keep having repeated episodes of this kind of bruising then you do certainly need further evaluation.