Mom of three, MD
Mom of three, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Private practice physician; reputation for being a superb diagnostician and caring, loving doc

what is trigamonis and what happens if it not treated....

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Mom of three, MD replied 7 years ago.
Good question. Trichomonas is a commonsexually transmitted infection. Both men and women can have trichomonas, but often men have no symptoms, so it is easier to diagnose in women.

Sometimes called trich (pronounced trick) for short, this infection is 100% curable. The germ that causes it is called trichomonas vaginalis.

Possible signs of trich infection could be:
1) vaginal discharge. can have a bad smell. usually yellow-green in color.
2) pain during sex or when you urinate/pee.
3)itch in vaginal area
4)lower belly pain- not common

Why should it be treated?
1)The trich germ can cause irritation and inflammation which can make a woman more vulnerable to contracting other sexually transmitted infections, including HIV.
2) Treatment speeds recovery and relieves symptoms of pain, itch and discharge
3) For a pregnant woman it is especially important to treat trich, because if not treated, she has higher risk of having her baby born too early and/or too small.

Treatment- prescription pill (Flagyl or metronidazole, or tinidazole)

When to have sex again- it is good to wait until partner(s) have been treated too, to prevent getting infected again.

Any genital symptom such as discharge or burning during urination or an unusual sore or rash should be a signal to stop having sex and to consult a health care provider immediately. A person diagnosed with trichomoniasis (or any other STD) should receive treatment and should notify all recent sex partners so that they can see a health care provider and be treated. This reduces the risk that the sex partners will develop complications from trichomoniasis and reduces the risk that the person with trichomoniasis will become re-infected. Sex should be stopped until the person with trichomoniasis and all of his or her recent partners complete treatment for trichomoniasis and have no symptoms.

I hope very much that this was helpful and answered your question. Please feel free to ask a follow-up question or click accept if you have no more questions. THANK YOU!
Hello- I hope your question was answered. On looking again, I see that you are a man, and much of my answer pertained to symptoms in women. Trichomonas is usually asymptomatic in men, but can cause irritation and burning of the penis. The irritation and itch, if present, will go away without treatment, but the germ is still there and can infect or re-infect your partner. Please let me know if this does not help; I'll keep working with you until you are satisfied. Thank you!