Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery
206912

i was diagnosed with a really large hematoma on my upper thigh

Customer Question

i was diagnosed with a really large hematoma on my upper thigh between my knee and hip more on the side than directly on front of leg.. i seen a doctor approx. 2.5 weeks ago and he said ice then heat after 48 hours.. and in 7-10 days the swelling pain and numbness will go away.. its still very large and numb and tender but in a smaller area than before.. will time take scare of this or should i do a follow up?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Are you having any weakness, or pain that shoots down the leg?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
not really shooting pain but occasional burning sensations and real sensitive to touch
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

OK.

Well, a hematoma often takes some time to reabsorb, and certainly, since it has only been a short time, it will still be causing symptoms.

The hematoma should slowly get smaller and smaller, and your symptoms slowly improve.

The fact you are not having shooting pains, or weakness means that major nerves are not being compressed, which is good.

Some people may have this for a couple of months -- and in a small amount of people, the hematoma may calcify, leaving a bump in the thigh.