Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829
Medical

I get nausea when I stand up. But goes away when I lie.

I am getting nausea when... Show More

I am getting nausea when I stand up. It goes away when I lie down and sometimes I get dizzy. My doctor conducted blood test but it is ok. I also get constipated a lot.

Category: Medical
replied 7 years ago.
How old are you? Any other medical problems or medications?
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.

I am 25 and no their is no medical problems. I got this for about 2 weeks. It went away for a week and a half. Now its back since yesterday

Dr. Cameron, Doctor replied 7 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for the additional information. Well, it sounds like you need a comprehensive physical examination and possibly some lab studies. It is possible that you are having low blood pressure and nausea from dehydration, over active vagus nerve, anemia (or if you are sexually active, pregnancy). The treatment for these different causes vary wildly, so it is important to get to the root of the cause. In the meantime, keep well hydrated. If you have any fainting, black or bloody stools or abdominal pain, or other concerning symptoms, you need to go to the ER right away.

Warm regards

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.

I dont have anemia and I can't be pregnaunt. My own gp has done does tests including kidney function and liver. I am sorry but I don't find that answer useful.

Well, another possibility is an over active vagus nerve. In this sense, when you are standing up, your blood pressure is not being maintained properly. This is called orthostatic hypotension. Generally this is seen in older people and worsened with medication, but it has been reported in younger women as well. The physician to see is a neurologist. Treatment depends on the cause.You will need to have more tests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension

Warm regards

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.

Can this still be the case when everytime my gp takes my blood pressure, its ok

You need to have your blood pressure taken sitting/lying and standing. I doubt your GP did that.