Dr. G MD
Dr. G MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Vanderbilt Trained. Kidney disease, high blood pressure, Internal Medicine, Kidney Transplant

I recently had a unrine test and these were my results - I

I recently had a unrine test and these were my results - I am in 3rd stage kidney disease - are these results normal or abnormal and if abnormal do I need to see a Nephrologist?

Microalbumin,UR,QN <3.0
detection limit <20Mg/L

Creatinine, Urine 110.2

microalbumin/Creatinine <2.7
normal range= <30.0mg/mgCreat.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. G MD replied 7 years ago.
These urine results look very good. Also, there is new data that people with Stage 3 chronic kidney disease WITHOUT microalbuminuria (no excess albumin/protien in the urine) are at very low risk for progression to kidney failure.

Therefore, given these results, you should continue to see your doctore, but you should not have significant worry.

Regarding seeing a nephrologist, the recommendation from our authoritative body (national kidney foundation and american society of nephrology) would suggest that you may have a better outcome in the long run if you see a nephrologist. However, there probably isn't a lot that a nephrologist would do differently than your regular doctor if he is already checking for albumin in the urine and a few other tests. He should test you for phosphorus level and intact PTH level to ensure that you have not developed kidney-associated bone disease. Along those lines, your doctor should probably also test for Vitamin D levels.

Best of luck to you. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance in the future.